Monday, July 9, 2007

Long Run # 2

Sunday morning it was long run # 2, I had planned to have covered 18 miles. Here in Tucson we are getting ready for Monsoon Season, its almost here. Saturday night we got some rain, so as you can imagine Sunday was humid. I was only able to cover 9 miles before 7:00 am, then it got hot. So I drove to the gym and ran 3 more miles on the treadmill. I'am not a big fan of treadmills, I can't cover more than 3 miles at a time on a treadmill. After lunch I ended up heading back and covering another 3 miles, bringing my total to 15 miles for the day. I may have to distribute my mileage throughout the day especially with the weather being hot and humid.

Sweating is one of the most effective means of regulating internal body temperature, exercising in hot, humid conditions is especially stressful to the unacclimated person. For sweat to dissipate heat, it must evaporate. When the humidity is high, sweat does not evaporate. Even if you are sweating profusely , there is a risk of severe heat problems. The main concern of exercising in the heat and humidity are replenishment of water and allowing the maximum amount of sweat to evaporate. To replenish fluids, drink at least 7-10 ounces every 10-20 minutes during exercise. The cooler the water the better, because cooler water empties more rapidly than warm water from the stomach into the intestines where it can be absorbed.

No comments: